Friday, March 6, 2009

Adaptive Technology

I truly enjoyed learning about the services available through the Student Support Services program on the Plattsburgh State campus. I had heard of this program as an undergraduate, but I didn't know what services were provided. This resource is very valuable to me as a teacher. Being exposed to assistive/adaptive technology has helped me experience what items my students may be using in my future classroom. Technological advances are always improving the quality of products being used to help students with disabilities function in an inclusive classroom.
While fulfilling my Special Education requirement, I heard about AlphaSmart. This product is a small laptop computer that starts at around $200. The beauty of this product is that it can be adapted to fit the needs of any student in a classroom. Students with special needs could each have a computer to complete work on (if financially possible, everyone in class could have one). At the most basic level, this laptop has a writing program to help students become better writers. At the second level, students have access to advanced organizers and guided reading journals. At the top level, the laptops have features like sticky keys, slow keys, larger-sized font, Spanish-English word lookup, and Text-to speech software. Teachers can load supportive materials on the laptops for students needing additional assistance.
Ideally, all of the students in a classroom should have an AlphaSmart laptop. In the real world, I would provide instruction for all of my students and send guided notes and any other additional support materials to my special needs students on their AlphaSmart laptops. I can adapt assessments as well as assignments for my students with AlphaSmart laptops. Students can use their computers to complete assignments, assessments, and communicate any issues that need to be addressed by me privately. Students with special needs will receive the same curriculum as all of the other students in class, but their instruction will be tailored to meet their individual needs.
I would like the opportunity to work with the AlphaSmart in my classroom. I think this product would be beneficial to all students. What do you think?

Information about AlphaSmart is available at the website below:
http://www.alphasmartdirect.com/intro.aspx

1 comment:

  1. It definitely looks like the AlphaSmart could be a helpful tool in the classroom. If a teacher only had a few to work with, it would probably be a good idea to allow every child to get a chance using one (unless one was specifically purchased for a child with learning disabilities). As we've been discussing in class, computer use can definitely assist in learning, but I also think that they need to be moderated. I don't believe in using the computer 100% of the time, but I don't think you do either.

    ReplyDelete